Summer Sun IQ
We love these sunny, summer months, especially here in the Midwest when it means we can be outdoors without heavy coats and extra socks. But, did you know the sun’s ultraviolet rays can damage your skin in as little as 15 minutes of exposure? It’s important to know the risks and how to protect yourself and your loved ones.
Let’s Talk Sunscreen.
- Use a sunscreen that has both UVA and UVB protection (termed “broad spectrum)
- Apply sunscreen 15-30 minutes before going out. The CDC recommends SPF 15 or higher, some sites suggest no less than SPF 30. Don’t forget those hard to reach and forgotten areas, such at the tips of your ears, your neck, the top of your feet, and the backs of your legs.
- Check expiration dates, most expire after three years.
- Reapply if you’re out in the sun for more than two hours. (especially if you’re sweating, getting wet and toweling off).
- Sunscreen isn’t meant to be the only means of defense against the sun’s powerful rays. If you’re going to be out in the sun, wear a hat. Preferably one with a wide brim that wraps around your whole head to protect your scalp, forehead, ears and neck.
- Look for shelters, leafy trees or bring a beach umbrella to give your skin a break from sun exposure.
Timing and UV Index:
- The sun is at it's strongest from 10am-4pm. If possible, limit your exposure during this time.
- Be mindful of the UV index, which tracks the intensity of ultraviolet light in your area. When levels are above 3, sun protection is needed.
- Another way to track UV index is to look for your shadow. If it’s tall, your UV exposure will be lower. If it’s short, you’re likely getting high exposure to UV rays and should take precautions.
- Tightly woven fabric, in a dark color, offers the most protection for your skin.
- Rash guards are a great option for extra protection for watersports. Shop JunoActive’s Rash Guards here: JunoActive Swimwear Tops
Look for fabrics that offer wicking properties - which dry quickly and keep you comfortable while outside. Be sure to check out JunoActive's Quikwik and Softwik collections for a wonderful variety of wicking activewear.
Get outside and enjoy the spoils of summer, just be safe!